Thursday, 12 November 2009

Lost in translation

Visiting the Jardins de Métis in Gaspésie, my attention has been most luckily caught by a label I found very interesting....

Why is London Pride translated by Désespoir de peintre (meaning more or less Painter's dispair)?  There surely is no rationnal reason, but I can not help myself from trying to link those two names together...


To learn a little bit more about this curious plant, I read on aujardin.info that it produces light as a feather flowers that were very much liked by impressionnist painters.

                           
As for the English name, Wikipedia says that "tradition holds that it rapidly colonised the bombed sites left by the London Blitz of the early 1940s. As such it is symbolic of the resilience of London and ordinary Londoners, and of the futility of seeking to bomb them into submission".


Finnally, my last discovery: it seems that in the language of flowers, this plant stands for frivolity.  How appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment