Thursday, 5 November 2009

A childhood love

When I was seven years old, my parents gave me the opportunity to visit the Louvre. I did not realize it back then, but I think this first encounter with so many masterpieces started the evolution process through which my liking of creation transformed into a deep love of art. I remember considering the museum as a chest full of treasures and all discoveries nourished my creative spirit. But as I was still at the wonderful age when magic makes sens, my interpretation of many things I saw and prefered was very much tinted by my already frivolous imagination.


For instance, as a lamb-loving child, I was awestruck by a great revelation when I discovered a Raphael painting: unicorns were in part lambs, not horses as I had always thought.

Raphael, Lady with a Unicorn, 1506


Even if unicorns are now long gone from my day-dreams, I still feel a very strong bound to Lady with a Unicorn.  Maybe it is because it evoques a cherished childhood memory, but I think it is also due to the fact it became to me a symbol of the little girl I once was and I wish I could be all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment