Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Saint-Valentine

Nowadays, many people consider love to be alike religion: it necessitates devotion to loved ones, faith in people that are, just like us, imperfect and constant efforts to follow an unwritten bible of relationships. But despite all this hard work, we continue to fight for love, and when it crumbles to dust, many decide to start over again once more, because we feel that in the end, love is worth it.

When I was younger, I used to think that with all the people living on the Earth, the fact that two individuals both felt uncommun feelings toward each other was quiet a miracle. And when it happened for the very first time, I knew that I was right: not because of the rarity I had feared it had, but because of the strengh, the lightness and the felicity it gives you.

In my own personal symbolism dictionnary, heart-shaped milagros represent this religiously miraculous quality of love. Born in the Latino-American culture, milagros are religious charms considered to have healing powers and are used as votive offering. In fact, the Spanish word milagro means miracle or surprise.

This Valentine's day, I will renew the offer of my heart to the very first man I shared this feeling with for the 10th time. And if my heart could be seen, he would see a beating version of a milagro.    

Three handmade silverved milagros, Cox & Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment