Thursday, 22 December 2011

The Unobtainable Now and the Future

When I first started to create, I produced mostly black and white drawings, for I though colors might distract from the subject I tried to represent. As I learnt, discovered and observed, my mind progressively changed and today, I greatly admire those who succeed in finding a fragile harmony between colors, shapes, textures and subjects in a representative art piece. I feel that the more daring you are when playing with those parameters, the harder it gets to find balance, but it is a risk worth taking: as strange as it might appear, taking a step back from reality often helps enhancing its aspects that matter most to one.

Through his paintings, Simon Birch translates his interest in "the universal ideas of transition, the ambiguous moment between an initiation and a conclusion, the unobtainable now and the future, inevitably crashing toward us" *.  I just love how he represents ephemerality, for it seems that the moment he tried to capture was gone before it could be colorfully fixed on canvas. Nevertheless, I must admit that his sketches rekindles my old attraction for  monochromatic drawings...  

Simon Birch
Simon Birch, 2011
Simon Birch, The things that keep me alive keep me alone, oil on canvas, 150cm x 150cm, 2011
Simon Birch, Foxglove, oil on canvas, 150cm x 150cm, 2011

Simon Birch
Simon Birch
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
Simon Birch, Sketch, about 1,5 m sq, 2011
For an insight of his working methods, I invite you to visit his blogAs always, if you can complete the information on the paintings, I would gladly add it.

No comments:

Post a Comment